You must have witnessed a sequence of TS files while going through the contents of a standard DVD. TS files are different parts of the video content stored on that disc. Has any such instance occurred where you couldn’t access these TS files due to some or other reason? If yes, we understand how frustrating it would have been to lose your favorite video files. But you no longer need to worry. As there are several ways ah3>vailable following which you can recover deleted TS files without any hassle. This blog lists various troubleshooting methods that will help you recover the TS files either when deleted by mistake or due to some physical damage. But before you begin, let’s understand what a TS file is.
A Brief On TS File
TS or Transport Steam is a video format file mainly used in broadcasting and streaming. The TS format’s quality is at par with other formats, such as MP4. Moreover, to compress video data, it uses the MPEG-2 compression standard. Initially, it was designed for broadcasting purposes at a constant bit rate (CBR). Not just DVDs; you can use them in Blu-ray and digital video cameras as well. However, whenever you use TS format in a video camera, the packet size increases to 192 bytes with the addition of 4-byte timecode (TC). That’s because the TS format stores data in the form of packets. Of which, each packet holds 188 bytes of data. There are certain benefits attached to this:
- Streaming a small packet of data with fewer latency issues is easier.
- It has greater resistance to errors.
On which Video Players can you open the TS Files
Below we have listed some of the video players that you can use to open TS files on your system:
- VLC Media Player: This open-source video player is efficient enough to work on both Windows and macOS systems. Besides, it also supports the TS file format.
- Windows Media Player: You can also use the default media player for Windows to play the TS files.
- Elmedia Player:I t’s among the most popular third-party video players for macOS and can play any TS video file without hassle.
Effective troubleshooting methods to recover deleted TS files
Amidst all the technological issues that happen these days, data loss is extremely common. However, when it comes to TS files, whether you have accidentally deleted or lost data due to any kind of system error, you need to recover your lost data in some way or another. To help you do so, below, we have listed some of the troubleshooting methods that will help you recover TS files effectively.
But before that, there are certain factors that you need to take into consideration.
- Make sure to begin the data recovery procedure right from the time you get to know about the data loss.
- Ensure to discontinue using the storage device on which you have stored your lost data. Also, never save any new data on it else it will overwrite the existing data.
- While looking for recovery methods, always begin with reliable ones. If you continue to experiment, there are chances that you might decrease the chances of data recovery.
Method 1: Recover TS files using Windows Recycle Bin or Mac Trash
If you accidentally deleted the TS files, make sure to check the trash folder of Windows (Recycle Bin) and macOS (Trash/Bin) in the first place.
Steps to recover deleted TS files:
- Firstly, you need to open Recycle Bin folder in your system. From there, choose the TS files that you want to retrieve.
- Right-click the selected files and click on the ‘Restore’ option.
- Open the Trash icon on the Dock and then choose the TS files you want to retrieve.
- Right-click the selected TS files and click on the ‘Put Back’ option.
Once done, all your deleted TS files will be restored to their original location. However, if this method doesn’t work for you, it signifies that you have deleted the files permanently.
Method 2: Recover deleted TS files using Windows File History and Mac Time Machine
The automatic backup feature is another feature that you can use to recover deleted TS files in both Windows and Mac. If you have been using this feature regularly, it means a copy of your deleted files can be restored manually. In Windows, this backup feature is known as Windows File History, while in Mac, it is termed as Mac Time Machine.
For this feature to work, you need to enable it in your respective systems. Also, make sure that you haven’t chosen the original folder as the one where deleted TS files will go back once retrieved.
Windows File History
- Click on the Windows icon, and type ‘file history’ in the text field. Then, press the Enter key.
- From the options that appear on your screen, click on the ‘Restore your files’ option and select the folder which consists of your deleted TS files.
- Check all the available backups and ensure that it has your deleted TS files.
- From the listed files, select the TS files that you want to retrieve.
- At the bottom of the screen, click on the ‘Recover’ option and select it to retrieve the files.
Steps to recover deleted or lost TS Files using photo recovery software
If you’re looking for a way to help you save your time and effort, then choosing a reliable photo recovery software like Stellar Photo Recovery would be one of the best ways to retrieve lost TS files. Why? It’s user-friendly and can recover lost data just in a few clicks. For that, it first scans your storage device and detects all lost TS files or data. Once you have the scanned results, you can preview all the recoverable files and retrieve them to their original location.
Here’s how to recover TS files using Stellar Photo Recovery software:
- Firstly, you have to download and install the Stellar Photo Recovery software.
- Choose the storage device with your missing TS files from the options that appear on your screen.
- Then, click on the ‘scan’ option.
- Once the scanning completes, preview the files that can be recovered.
- Further, click on Recover to choose the TS files you want to retrieve and save them at the desired location.
Note: If you aren’t sure of the Stellar photo recovery software’s overall functionality, you can try using it with its free trial version.
Summing it up
With the advancement of technology, you might come across several ways that may help you recover lost or deleted TS files. But not all of them would do good for you. Thus, you need to know which method you want to apply. To help you with that, below we have listed some tips following which you can avoid TS data loss:
Regular backup of TS files: Always take regular backups of the TS files in some way or the other, i.e., either through an inbuilt backup feature or by backing up at regular intervals.
Keep multiple backups: Not only rely on regular backups but also prefer to keep a backup of your TS files at two-three different places.
Good antivirus program: A computer virus is one of the major causes that can lead to abrupt data loss. Therefore, investing in a good antivirus program is better for enhancing overall security.
Save your work regularly: While working on the TS files, always ensure to save your work at regular intervals. This would help in case of a computer crash or power outage.
If you have followed all the above-listed methods and are still stuck with the deleted TS files, then you need to opt for a reliable photo recovery software like Stellar Photo Recovery to help you recover your files.